Security Exception - Request Failed
Vishal Dattani
2004-07-12 07:24:16 UTC
hi everybody,
i am developing a project which is made up of three projects.
1) main project (presentation layer)
2) data access layer
3) business logic layer

the main project references these other project 2 and 3 shown above.
I have added these projects in a solution and this solution is added to
source safe.
the problem is that when i run the project on the machine on which the
source safe server is created , it runs fine. but when i run it from any
other machine ( source safe client) then it generates this error:

"An unhandled exception of type 'SYSTEM.SECURITY.SECURITYEXCEPTION' occured
in mscorlib.dll

Additional Information : REQUEST FAILED"

since the additional information is not that informative :-), i am stuck up
with this problem.

This error is generated only when my class tries to invoke a method of
ACTIVATOR.CreateInstance (tConn)
If i access other members of my other classes then it runs without any
error.

Has this got anything to be done with some permissions, as i dont have much
idea about how to set these permissions (code access security etc ....) ???

Please help me out with this.

thanks and regards,
Vishal Dattani.
Anand[MVP]
2004-07-12 07:36:03 UTC
You can get a security exception is you are running code from a network share.

Rgds,
Anand
VB.NET MVP
http://www.dotnetindia.com
Vishal Dattani.
Vishal Dattani
2004-07-13 12:56:42 UTC
Yes Anand , U R Right. that was the exact problem. as soon as i made a
working folder on the client machines everything started working fine.

thanks once again,
i knew i could count on you people ;)
regards
Vishal
Vishal Dattani.
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
2004-07-12 11:01:11 UTC
Post by Vishal Dattani
[...]
Is one of the referenced assemblies placed on a network drive?

.NET Framework Enterprise Security Policy Administration and Deployment
<URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/entsecpoladmin.asp>
--
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
<URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
Vishal Dattani
2004-07-13 13:03:58 UTC
Thanks Anand & Herfried,
U Both R Right. that was the exact problem. as soon as i made a working
folder for source safe on the client machines everything started working
fine. Prior to this i was ascessing the files from the server itself whcih
was causing these problems.